I didn't go so far as coming up with a family budget, then donating half of what I could save by active non-consumption. But I have really made an effort to shift my consumption habits. I'm not a huge shopper anyway, and I don't like wasting, but after October I got more serious about shopping second-hand and really evaluating what I buy and whether I need it or can make it myself. At Christmas, for almost everyone (except for my little cousins where I just out and out bought gifts--oops), we donated to charity on their behalf. I've also been trying to make gifts more often, rather than buying them. Doing both those those things has been really gratifying and the response of the giftee has also been wonderful. I'm finding that most people actually are happy to get something more meaningful than more "stuff".
I'm looking at how I can make more of the food items we usually buy. One staple we've stopped buying is crackers. We went through about a box a week--paper, plastic, shipping and all. Instead, I make my own and they are delicious and healthy. I can buy bulk ingredients, and overall it cuts down on the packaging. The Boodge likes to help, so the kitchen looks like the aftermath of Pompeii when we're done, there's so much flour everywhere. But whenever he sees the food processor, he asks me to "Make caki dough." I love that he's involved in cooking with me, and hope he enjoys the art of cuisine and the pleasures of eating as much as I do one day.


I did read David Suzuki's "Good News for a Change". I got it from the library--I haven't purchased a new book since October. It gave me a lot of hope and showed me that lots of the solutions are already out there, just waiting for people to notice them. The most important things I took away from the book was the idea that environmental activism is entwined with social justice activism, and that most of the really amazing changes people are implementing are happening locally, because they are attached to one place and want to improve something there.
That local connection is part of what excites me about having moved to a smaller community, and purchased property. We're no longer living the lives of apartment dwellers, disconnected from our space and land. I hope to become an active part of this community, and look forward to finding where I fit in that regard.
I did not find a place to volunteer with the Boodge. I did some research, but then house-hunting and moving and other yet to be discussed developments got the best of me. Perhaps that is a good place to start meeting people and getting involved in our new community. I will have to resurrect that goal.
I also committed to growing our own food. I am thrilled to finally be in a position to do this. I spent two hours today turning the earth in our planned garden spaces, and next weekend my cousin is coming to help me plant my garden. Sean is planning to build us a nice big compost bin so we can start re-using our organic waste. We're putting in berry bushes, fruit trees, and tons of veggies.
It's amusing how some people are questioning my ability to keep up with the garden (OK, I admit, they may be looking at the houseplants and going...hmmmmm). I know it will be a lot of work, but Boodge and I spend so much time outside now that we have a yard, how hard can it be to take a little time every day to weed, stake up some plants, and harvest the ripe veggies? We're starting somewhat small (11x7, which should yield lots), but I hope our garden will grow and the Boodge will learn what he needs to know about fending for himself and honoring where his food comes from.
I am also working on sourcing local food. I found a lovely, friendly family farm (Rockweld Farm) ten minutes away where I have been buying organic, SPCA certified chicken and eggs and a small amount of local grass-fed beef. There is also a delicious local yogurt, thick and full of luscious fruit, and some great local cheeses. But I'm having more trouble finding local organic produce. There is a natural foods store in town with a great selection of grains, herbs, and other organic products, but little produce. I suppose in the summer, when the farmer's markets start up, produce will be abundant. But in the meantime, I have to buy most of my organic fruit and veggies at a giant chain grocery store, which makes me feel slightly dirty.
My last commitment was to blog about what I am doing. So I've slacked on that a bit. But as the garden is planted and grows, I hope to share some of what I'm learning, as well as recipes I discover to use and preserve the food as it comes in. I feel like moving has opened up a lot of doors for us, so I'm going to enter them one at a time. I tend to want everything to happen now, but the longer I live the more I understand that the most important thing is to just keep walking in the direction you want to go, one step at a time. I may deviate on the way. I may never get there. But I'm definitely getting closer.
Awesome blog! I would say that even with the house hunting and the move, you have stayed pretty well on track. One step at a time, as they say...but definitely going in the right direction. Love Mama Cool
ReplyDeleteKaty - http://radixsort.com/skeeterfarm/Home.html
ReplyDeleteThis is a friend of mine - if you read the blog part of their website it chronicles their story of starting up a small farm & growing veggies organically and sustainably. They're in Abbotsford and they're doing a CSA program this year! A great place to get organic veggies!
Good luck with your garden! I think gardening fits in nicely with toddlers, as does cooking! Love the look of your crackers - I'll have to try those!
I'm excited to swap gardening tips!
ReplyDeletemy biggest one is to try to get a compost that is enclosed otherwise you might attract some unwanted guests.
we got this ridiculously expensive one from lee valley that spins and it is AWESOME. but it's expensive. but it makes compost quite fast and also makes a fertilizing "tea" too. and is rat and mouse proof, which makes it priceless to me.