Yesterday my country had a federal election. I don't usually get into politics on my blog, because I find it hard to write about in a way that doesn't divide and alienate people. And frankly, I don't get much positive from that kind of conversation. It's the same reason I try to write from my own perspective, rather than write long opinion pieces about why I think "breast is best" or co-sleeping is for everyone or whatever. I'd rather just speak from my own truth, and hear that of others. I care about politics, but I'm hoping for a different kind of dialogue here. Something that seeks mutual understanding and opens minds, rather than the usual pissing contest.
That being said, I'll just go ahead and make it plain for anyone who hasn't figured it out already. I'm pretty lefty when it comes to politics. I have been jokingly and not jokingly called a communist at times (I lived in the USA for a while, and it's easy to get called communist there). I believe we should share and try to get along and not take things that aren't ours and be kind and gentle and take care of those who need our help. I believe it's OK to be you and me. I teach that to my kids. It seems pretty basic to me.
So last night was pretty exciting for me. And some amazing things happened. Elizabeth May was elected, and she will be the first member of Parliament from the Green party, which has a strong environmental agenda. The grassroots effort that made it happen locally was very inspiring. This was the first election I remember that used social media so widely, and it was amazing to watch the strategic voting movement that could be built with our new abilities to communicate. It felt wonderful to exchange reactions with friends on facebook at the same time as watching the election with my family. I felt part of a community of voters, and had access to information about my candidates in a myriad of forms.
Also, the Bloc Quebecois, a party which represents the interests of Quebecers who wish to make that province a sovereign nation, was all but defeated. I didn't like that they have such a strong role in making decisions for a country they don't want to be part of. I'm all for working it out for those Quebecers who want to be part of their own little nation, but I'm hoping that losing the Bloc in Parliament can free up some time and energy for other things. And most exciting, the leftiest party we have leapt up hugely in size and stature when Bloc Quebecois voters switched to them, becoming a very healthy opposition.
Opposition to, unfortunately, a very righty party who got the majority. And who will therefore be able to push their agenda forward for 5 solid years now. So it was both exciting, and depressing. Reminded me a bit of when George Bush got re-elected, except I wasn't so shocked this time. I already saw how it could happen, how people's mistrust in government causes cynicism and apathy in those that we lefties need going to the polls. How lies and manipulation and posturing take over the discussion. And I wasn't so sad either. Somehow, even though the prospect of 5 more years under Stephen Harper's Conservatives is grim to me, I am encouraged by the positive signs that people really do want a change. It's just that the people are leading, and the leaders (and our electoral process) seem so very, very slow to follow.
It reminds me a bit of how my children, just before they are about to take a developmental leap forward, seem to regress. Maybe it is their fear of change, and what it may bring, and a need to retreat into what is safe and known. And after a little while, they realize that what is safe and known is not serving them, that it is inevitable that they will have to crawl, walk, talk, become more of themselves, inevitable they move onward now and open their world up to new possibilities, scary as it is.
Maybe that is where our government is now, and for 5 years now there will be a back and forth, venture, retreat, venture, retreat. And after that, the people and the leaders will see that it is inevitable. This way of trying to make more money, get more stuff, use more of the earth--this every one for his or her self, punishment and revenge seeking (I'm trying to ignore the Osama death-celebration media spectacle, but, c'mon people...it's so ugly), competitive society has to change.
I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful that our government, as it stands now, will at least have to open up the conversation between left and right. That maybe with the help of grassroots movements using social media, we can all start to have a dialogue that seeks to unite rather than divide, to find solutions rather than lay blame. A dialogue that seeks and works from the truth, not the upper hand of power. Something that opens minds, rather than the usual pissing contest. Is that too much to hope for?
No comments:
Post a Comment