Yesterday, inspired by this recipe for Pumpkin Puree posted at Pioneer Woman, I rescued Baby Jack O'Lantern (the one I carved on Peanut's behalf) from the stoop and hacked it up. Before I knew it, I was staring at two cookie sheets of pumpkin pieces, waiting to be peeled and pureed, just at the end of my day. I felt like an idiot. Especially when I realized that I had forgotten that we have no food processor anymore...it broke a long time ago, actually, and the puree was supposed to be done in a processor. But I recovered. I cut the skin off that pumpkin and I put it in a big bowl and pureed it well enough with my hand blender. I got two bags of enough to fill a pie, which I froze, and another large container which I put in the fridge.
Then I started wondering what I was going to do with all that pumpkin. And I found tons of amazing looking pumpkin recipes online. Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, cookies, soups, curry. Who knew there were so many uses for pumpkin? I couldn't believe that in years past, I have just gotten rid of the Jack O'Carcass with no thought to the fact that it's food. Yummy food.
This morning, I had a smoothie with pumpkin, banana blackberries, vanilla yogurt, soy milk, a dash of cinnamon and random fruit juice. It was creamy and thick with the pumpkin. Then this afternoon Booge and I made this yummy pumpkin-banana bread. I'm about to go have another piece. But first I wanted to come on here and say to all of you--if you haven't rescued Jack or Jackie from the porch, and s/he is still viable, do this. Hack it, roast it, puree it, freeze it, eat it.
I roasted another one tonight. It's sitting on the counter, waiting to be peeled and pureed. Maybe tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment