Saturday, June 12, 2010

Protecting the Plug

A few months ago I purchased a package of 24 Safety 1st "press and pull" plug protectors for our new place. They were big and bulky and the Boodge was immediately drawn to them. He entertained himself by pulling them out and putting them back in, which was all the more fun because we freaked out every time we saw him do it. Those plug protectors had him interested in the sockets like nothing before. He really got it that he could stick things into those little holes and started bringing other objects over to see if they worked as well.

So I wrote to Safety 1st and told them how unsafe their product was. Not only was it not doing the job, it was doing the reverse of what it was supposed to do. They wrote back to ask me what I had purchased and where, and I told them. A few weeks later, a big envelope arrived on our doorstep. It was 24 new plug protectors, this time "Deluxe Press-Fit". These things have two buttons on the side and one on the top that have to be simultaneously pressed to get them out. They are serious. Boo can't make a dent in them. In fact, I can barely get them out myself.

So, since I facebooked my annoyance with Safety 1st, I figured I should let everyone know they did come through and, as BP says on their slick PR commercial, "Make it right." These plug protectors are definitely safe for toddlers with good fine motor skills. Though I may never be able to vaccuum again.

1 comment:

  1. Good comments! I have called many companies to talk to them about their products - most companies seem to pull through - it is definitely worth the effort to "make it right" rather than be stuck with a less than stellar product. Good on you to let people know that the company will make an effort too - often times we are not as forthcoming with positive comments as we are negative. Vaccuming is over rated any way! :) I think most people liken it to shovelling during a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete