My friend who writes over at 24-7 Mommy recently wrote a post inspired by the miserable, horrible oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico right now. She asked her readers for tips on how we mom's (or all runners of households) can help preserve the environment. I wrote a few in her comments but it got me thinking about things I do, and don't do. There's the usual list, like recycle, turn your heat down and lights off, take public transit, buy eco-friendly and organic products. But I thought I'd try to pass along some of the little specific things I do and could do but haven't started doing yet, in case anyone may think, "Hey, I could do that."
--Buy Dr. Bronner's soap in bulk then use if for everything! I have it in hand pumps for washing poopy hands, spray bottles for washing fingerprints, and I use it for my floors, dishes, and even sometimes my body. You can buy a one gallon bottle once or twice a year and recycle it, and save all the packaging for any other cleaning product you may use.
--Plant a garden. I haven't seen the yields of this quite yet, but I suspect it will save us a lot of trips to the grocery store for fresh produce, and also all the packaging that produce may come in (I plan to can and freeze some stuff in recycled plastic bags and glass jars). It has the added benefit of helping our family witness the miracles of nature, which can only help us stop taking the earth for granted.
--Re-use all those plastic bags, containers and jars you end up with no matter how hard you try. There is no need to buy saran wrap or tupperware, ever!
--Cloth diapers! It's not that bad, really. We put in a diaper sprayer which takes out the majority of grossness. After that, just hold your nose once or twice a week and dump them in the wash. Saves money, and the earth. If you can't stomach the idea though, most urban areas have a diaper service. We used one until we move to our house and could have our own laundry. Man, I loved them. They were cheaper than disposable, and they didn't even make me knock the poo off.
--Don't use pesticides. No brainer. We don't really care about our lawn's appearance enough anyway. Besides, dandelions are edible.
--Buy used. Everything is out there. Craigslist is a fun way to meet your neighbours. And if you buy from most thrift stores, you are probably also helping out a charity. Plus it will save you money. You can also trade baby items back and forth with friends that have kids a bit older or younger than yours.
--Buy local. We all know this by now. Summer is a great time to find your local farmers markets and again, meet your neighbours. Bulk buying in season can save you money and stretch the local produce into the winter.
--Buy recyclable. When you're shopping and you have to pick up that plastic bottle of something, check the bottom to make sure it's a recyclable plastic. There's usually a little recycle symbol with a number in it. Our local program only takes #1, 2 and 5, so I buy a brand that uses that type of plastic.
OK, now, at the risk of sounding holier than thou, which I always worry about with these types of posts, here is a list of things I don't do, but if I did, it would make a big difference.
--Eat vegetarian. I did this for about 8 years, then fell off the wagon. We eat veggie once a week or so, and we buy mostly chicken and fish, and all our meat from local, organic, ethical, naturally raised sources. We rarely have meat as the main attraction, it is usually in a stew, soup, curry, or sauce full of veggies. But...still. Vegetarian diets are just way better for the earth.
--Remember to re-use all those plastic produce bags. I remember my grocery bags, but I have not yet begun to remember to bring bags for produce and bread. Maybe writing this will get me there.
--Drive less. I have to admit, since moving to the country, I drive way more. In the city it could be a couple weeks before I would take my car anywhere. But here, the nearest grocery store is 4 km away, and a lot of my friends are 40 minutes away. We used to average 1 tank of gas a month, but it's creeping up to 2. May be time to invest in a hybrid.
--Conserve...enough. I don't unplug appliances when I'm not using them. I leave my laptop on. I turn up the heat when I'm cold (well, we did that until we got the first bill...now we're into conservation!). I could do much more--this list could go on and on.
--Be an activist. I write the occasional letter to a company complaining about their packaging or practices, but I have been talking about getting more involved in activism and haven't done it...yet.
It's hard to do everything right by the earth. I find myself standing in the grocery store wondering trivial things like: buy the organic bananas wrapped in plastic? or buy the non-organic not wrapped in plastic? or don't buy them because they are never local? And I have to admit at times it feels hopeless, the small impact my family can make and how that compares to the large impact a company that pollutes can make. But the more I commit to living sustainably, the more I incorporate good habits, and the better I feel about my own life, even if I can't change everyone else. I do believe that on this issue, the people have to lead and the leaders will follow. And if they don't, well, at least we'll have done something to keep the earth a place our children and their children can enjoy a bit longer.
Feel free to share your own tips below!
The spill in the Gulf gives me a sense of hopelessness until I talked to an Environment Guy on the airplane coming back from Ottawa - it changed my brainwaves when he said Oil is a natural substance there are things in the environment that will help with the bounce back.(As long as they clean up the monster amunt of oil flowing out...) I guess in an area previous to this disaster they cleaned up one part with a type of steam cleaner, the other with taking up as much as they could and let nature take its course. The steam cleaned area has never fully recovered while the other has remarkable well. This gave me marble of hope that even the smallest effort can still make a difference even though there is a BIG mess out there. So Long story - but - I liked your suggestions - I watch everyday my Deck garden is growing a little (Madi inspired up to deck/fire escape garden after a non-belief that vegetables ame from plants...) I like the reminder about reusing bags and containers and buying things with less packaging. We teach a program called Leave No Trace that primarily focuses on preservation of the wild spaces and makes some headway to indoor spaces. It is nice to be reminded that we, in our small way, can make a difference and still learn form each other and not be afraid to look for creative solutions. Wow so that was super long winded! lol Keep writing - your great!
ReplyDeleteGreat Katy
ReplyDeleteDon't give-up. I can see that many people of your generation are getting much more conscious about over consuming. Ardan's generation will even be more conscious because it will have been an example shown to them from early on in their life.
Companies will not stop producing if people buy. It is therefore up to everyone to make an effort not to consume, to conserve etc.. if we look at our parents (grand parents for your generation)who lived through the war with nothing or little, they were not big consumers, didn't throw things away: food, pots and pans, beds etc...they didn't go for luxury or keeping up with the neighbours, they just were happy to live and survive.
People want too much to impress others: superficialism! Here is an annecdote: I was talking to the local pharmacist, a very nice lady who just had a baby. I was telling her that my daugther was pregnant and expecting for Ocotber. "What is it going to be? "she asked. "She wants the surprise" I said. The lady looked saddened "Oh, so you don't know what the palette of colours should be for the decoration and the room". I told her, that for me it really was not important, the only important thing was that the baby and my daughter be healthy!
To me the majority of people are too superficial.They'll buy a fridge at three times the price just so that it matches the latest fashion! Don't take me wrong, I do love nice things, I do love artistic house decoration, but I like them to tell me something about the person, not to be out of the latest deco magazine. I like them to be functional and nice at the same time.
My dear dear friend, when we went to visit was ready to throw all her antique living room furniture because she never went in there, it was not comfortable. She is the type to decorate for looks rather than comfort. SO I told her, don't throw it out , mix it with modern comfy things. We spent the whole afternoon moving furniture,rugs, paintings and the likes from the family room downstairs to the main floor, from upstairs etc.. SOme of the antiques are much more striking and impressive now. She loves her living room now, it is cosy, comfy . it calls out to her to come and relax. All she did was buy an little TV so that she need not go in the playroom in the basement unless the grandkids come and they need the space! She is getting older like all of us, and those stairs were getting a little harder to take!
We are a throw away society! That's what we have to change too! Remember that what we don't buy, they don't need to produce. Yes, production will go down, the economy will slow down, but to save the world we have to change our consumerist culture!
I see changes already, I have faith!