Thursday, December 16, 2010

Here in my living room....

I'm in the unfortunate position of having lots I'd like to write about, and very little time when  my hands and butt are both free at the same time.  So here I am with who knows how many minutes on my "beat the baby" clock, and I thought I'd try to get a thought out. Oh....she's crying...hang on. My little girl is on day 4 with no poo and that makes her a bit ornery, and wakes her frequently.  So now I have one hand and bum free.

And so it goes.  I just watched a great talk on taboos of parenting, shared by my prenatal class instructor, who also facilitates parenting support groups and runs Mama Renew.  Taboo number two, "You can't talk about how lonely it can be," really resonated with me.  Being at home in the winter with a newborn and a little whirling dervish can certainly feel isolating.  I've been making a conscious effort to get out of the house, so that each day Boodge and I get to see the outside world, but it is not easy or always worth the effort.  I'm lucky my husband works at home, so I can chat with an adult once or twice during the day, and I am starting to make some friends and connect with other moms in my new community. And blogging, when I get to do so, gives me a place to work out some of my thoughts as I ride through these changes (perpetually) and connect with family, friends, and like-minded parents. 

So though I'm feeling isolated, I'm not hurting, and even sometimes appreciating an excuse to just chill out at home reading (children's books), watching (children's) videos, nursing (while doing those things) and cooking.  And building towers, painting masterpieces, playing cars, dancing down the hallways singing gibberish songs, and dancing around the kitchen singing "shhhhh, shhhhh" to a little baby with a 4 day buildup.  It's a time I will miss one day, I know. 

I hear coughing, and I am pretty sure the Boodge will emerge at any moment, in questionable humour.  So I should end it now, and not wait for the clever ending.  I wanted to connect, that's all, and say I'm here, in my house, alone most of all day with a baby and a toddler. And it's lovely and amazing. And I miss all you out there in blogland, and the rest of the world.  Look forward to seeing you more often, stop by anytime and say hi.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katy,
    I am at home too, with a 3 1/2 month old (only). :) I think you are amazing!
    I read your blog often though I have never commented before. I appreciate that you are out there doing what I am doing only more!
    Hope to meet the Boodge and Peanut one day, and catch up with you for real.

    ReplyDelete