Saturday, December 11, 2010

Some Gems Found Around Our House

There have been so many moments lately where I've thought, "I want to remember that," or, "I want to share that." But when you are moving at rocket speed, sometimes you don't.  So here's a moment to do it.

Me, at the dinner table:  "Boodge, can you turn around and sit down. I don't want to talk to your bumhole."
Boodge turns around, dinner resumes. Then he interrupts the conversation. "Mummy?"
"Yeah?"
"Can you talk to my bumhole?"

Boodge, after finishing a short and sweet nursing session.  "Mmmm, mmmm.  That's yummy milk-boo!"
Me:  "It's yummy?"
Boodge:  "Mmmm hmmmm. It's yummy.  Thank you Mummy for that boo milk.  Thank you Mummy."
Me, beaming. "You're welcome my little love."
Boodge, haltingly searching for the words, "Thank you for saving me some of that boo milk and not giving it all to Peanut!" 
I can't tell you how nice it was to be appreciated and validated for a long, often challenging commitment to nursing.  I'm sure other nursing mama's can understand.  This is a benefit of nursing them till they can "walk and talk". They can thank you!

At the dinner table, Ardan asks for juice and Sean gets it for him.
Ardan, takes a long swig: "Mmmmm, that juice tastes like sugar."
Me, distracted. "Oh yeah?"
Another swig.  "That juice tastes just like sugar!"
Me: "Really? Let me try it. Hm...what is that? It tastes familiar.  What did you give him Sean?"
Sean: "I don't know, whatever was in the fridge."
I think about it. I finished the box of juice that afternoon, there is no juice in the fridge. Ahhhh....
"It's Chai tea mix!"
I don't usually buy it, so Sean wouldn't expect it to be in the fridge.  It could have been way worse.  Ardan did manage to get to sleep by 10 that night.

Me, rocking in the chair with Peanut (who is a very gassy, constipated, and pukey baby):  "She hasn't puked in a while."
Sean: "Famous last words."
Peanut, a heartbeat later: "Blarf, blarf, barf, puke."  The girl has excellent comic timing. If only we'd had the camera on it, we would win America's Funniest Home Videos.

Peanut doesn't say much yet, but she already has a certain way of looking at me and smiling that makes me feel we're sharing a joke, or an understanding of some kind.   In fact, she looks at me sometimes like she knows a secret I don't that she's just waiting, gleefully, to tell me.  She'll open her mouth with a big smile and say, "uhhh, ahhh, uhhh", just straining to get it out. I can't wait to hear what it is. I feel like I've known her forever.

Of course, my children are the most precious gems of all. 




1 comment:

  1. Ok, you actually made me laugh out loud. :) You've captured some great moments!

    ReplyDelete