In the family I grew up in, food was a big deal. Dinners were eaten together every day and were home-cooked about 95% of the time. On special occasions, loads of family and guests would gather together around a gluttonous feast of food and wine, often lingering at the table for hours over several courses with card games and long political debates in between. I have so many memories that center around a dinner table; some mundane, some embarrassing, (like my cousin asking, "So, Katy, are you still a virgin?" at Christmas dinner...and I wasn't, as of a week before) others heart-warming or heart-wrenching. And I have memories of cooking with my family, from making my own "bread" at my mother's feet as a preschooler (who didn't go to preschool), to bumping bums and arguing about who's in charge in the kitchen while preparing a holiday feast. They are memories of connecting with my family, growing with them, and celebrating life with them.
Still today, when I visit my cousins or my brother and their children, food is a big part of the equation. Most of us love to cook, all with our own styles. Even with the chaos a new baby brings to our lives, I have pumped out a home cooked meal most nights since she has been born. It's just ingrained in me, and I'm grateful for it. Cooking is soothing (ok, not so much now that I usually do it while reining in the Boodge and bouncing Peanut), cooking is creative, cooking is nourishing. Cooking my own food means I know what is going into my own body and my childrens'. Cooking together is a way to teach my children and have fun with them. And coming together for regular family meals can go a long way in creating the ties that bind. I believe in the power of food.
I hope my kids develop an appreciation for the art and science of spirit of food, too, just by being part of it like I was. Since having Peanut, Boodge and I have bonded over lots of baking and cooking. It's messy, but I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing. In these early baby days, it is something I can do with him standing up while the baby naps in the wrap. My little dude likes to pull up a chair and get into the action, and I let him attempt things like cracking eggs, dumping ingredients, mixing stuff, even flipping pancakes (under close supervision). It's been not only a great way to bond but also a way to get him interested in what we're eating. He almost never fails to at least try the foods we've cooked together, which is great because he can be very "two and a half" about eating and trying foods. Who isn't looking for ways to get their toddlers try new foods?
I thought I'd start sharing a bit more often the recipes of things we cook and what Boodge was able to do to "help". Maybe I'll inspire some of you other food lovers out there to get cooking with your kids, and we can make some more foodies in the world. I'll tag all my posts with "Playing in the Kitchen" so you can easily find them using my handy new Google search bar.
Cooking and eating around a table are the best way to bond...they even say now that eating around a table with your kids decreases drastically the suicide rate amongst teen agers!
ReplyDelete