Since having Boodge I've become more aware of my language. I've cleaned up my potty mouth (sometimes), and even more important, I'm glad I've cleaned out the loose usage of "hate." I'm aware that he is copying me, I see it so clearly these days. I'll say something like "That's outrageous," and half an hour later his drawing is outrageous, his poop is outrageous, his tummy hurts and that's outrageous. What use does a healthy, cared for three-year old have for the word hate? I'd rather hear shit or fuck come out of his mouth, than hate. And until today, I had heard "holy shit" and a loud string of "fuck", but never "hate", pass through those little lips.
It's because of the mosquitoes. In case you didn't know, I live in BC's "Fraser Valley." You may have heard of this region, we've been in the news lately because of the surge in the mosquito population. My mom even saw as story about us in Montreal, the other side of the country. They're that bad. The Fraser River, just down the hill from us, is at a 5-year high, and July was unusually wet. Apparently, mosquito eggs can lie dormant for 30 years, waiting for some moisture to hatch them. And they hatched, all at once seemingly, when we were on Vancouver Island for my cousin's 40th birthday party.
When we returned, Boodge ran down to his sandbox straight from the van. I followed him and told him 5 minutes only, because we just got home. In that 5 minutes I got about 8 bites. They were there, where they had not been before. The area around his sandbox, shady and grassy and weedy, is a hot spot. You can see them buzzing in the air all around it.
Now they've been here for two weeks. Just as July rolled in and the weather warmed up, just as all the sweet dreams of summer I dreamed during long lonely winter with a new baby and toddler were about to finally come true, the mosquitoes came. Just as we began to be able to barbecue and eat dinners on a cool evening deck, just as the garden started coming into fullness, just as our lawn is all grown in and ready for play, lounging in the sun, splashing in the kiddie pool. The mosquitoes came and our yard feels like a hostile place.
My kids are covered in bites. Peanut looks like she had chicken pox, and Boodge is ripping his legs up with his fingernails.
| Forehead, nose, under her eye, on her cheek. And a little strawberry juice. Yum. |
| Spotty arms, scabby legs. |
| Chubby baby legs should not look like this. |
| Little boy legs either. |
| And the other one. |
I am not willing to coat my kids in bug sprays that contain deet. It just seems way too toxic to put that on a little baby, even a toddler. I try not to even put it on myself. People have recommended garlic, lemon juice, rubbing my arms with moss, eating more oranges. I tried a patch that supposedly causes my skin to secrete Vitamin B1, making me not taste good to mosquitos. It did seem to work, but it's not safe for Peanut either, and Boodge won't wear the "band-aid thing". I haven't found something that feels OK to put on my kids and works. So we hide from our backyard.
Today we went out to harvest the garlic, because we had to. They were on Peanut before I had set her down on her blanket, and by the time I had dug out the 16 bulbs she was crying from overheating in her long clothes again, and I had swatted at at least 30 bugs off of us. I gathered up the whole dirty mess of garlic and Peanut to take inside so I could tie them up for curing. Those garlic were planted the weekend Peanut was born, and I had a special attachment to them. I wanted to take my time to do them right, not hastily and under stress.
| Amazingly, they did not interfere. |
| They were worth it. |
I saw Boodge looking at me and I had a clear understanding that he had taken in what I said. But I said it again. "I hate them. They're making me crazy." Strawberries picked, I tried to recover some good cheer and suggested we pick the raspberries too but once that was done I was barely hanging on. "Let's go, Boodge. Now. In." As we walked up the stairs to the house he said, "Mama, I hate that...I hate....I hate that windy wind." It wasn't even windy. He just wanted to try it out. Hate.
Thanks a lot, mosquitoes. I just know he's gonna use that word on me one day. And when he does, I will blame you.
I totally understand! The mosquitos can be nasty here in swampy DC and I don't use our new yard or deck or patio furniture like I thought I would. I have heard that mixing water and listerine and spraying around your deck can work but haven't tried it yet. I'm amazed you have been so dedicated and try to get out. Our trips to the garden are like military missions trying to get back in before we are swarmed. Perhaps we now just have to dream of the fall when things will be a tad less buggy? Hang in there, sister. Much love to you all. xoxo
ReplyDelete