Time for an update folks. That's all I have these days, for various reasons (that I hope to one day blog about) blogging has taken the back-burner, but I still like to stay a bit connected, for the family and friends that like to read. So here's the latest news from our little pod.
A couple of weeks ago, Peanut did her first little bit of independent walking. She and Sean and Boodge were on the deck, and I was in the kitchen. Sean called out to me to look at her, because she had just stood up quickly (she has been doing that, from a squat, for a while now) and then caught her balance by taking a step forward. When I went to look, she did the same thing again. Then, standing there, proceeded to swing her other foot forward, then again, then again--five steps! Sean and I were cheering and whooping, I ran out on the deck to hug her. Boodge, I think, felt a little left out though we tried to include him. But it was Peanut's moment. We were elated.
Her first year is so close to over, and it's gone by in such a blur. I'm reminded again of how much development babies get done in such a short time. In just a few weeks she has cut four teeth, learned to clap, and started walking. But truthfully, she started doing all those things a long time ago and the evidence of them is now emerging suddenly in big milestones. Sean and I are both feeling that simultaneous cheering for her growth, and lamenting that she is growing so fast. One of parenting's many contradictions.
And Boodge is starting preschool. So begins my new career as mom of a school attender. Pick-ups and drops-offs, field trips, parent-teacher meetings, signing forms. I am so excited for him, and I think he's excited too. It's coming at the perfect time, where he is really ready to have regular play with other kids, and to make friends that he sees regularly. I'm excited for me too, because I'm looking forward to meeting a new group of parents, and being part of his pre-school activities. Plus Peanut and I will get some time alone, which will be sweet.
Today we went and met the teachers and familiarize Boodge with the space. When we arrived Boodge introduced himself to each person there enthusiastically, "I'm Boodge, and I'm only three!" I was taken on a tour while he wasted no time finding the sand table, adopting his "working man" voice, and launching into a narration of his play, "I'm the loader. We've got to keep this machine working, guys. Keep going, guys. We've got a big job to do!" I don't think he noticed where I was for the 20 minutes while I handed in my paperwork and got an orientation. When it was time to go I told him so, and he said, "No, I don't want to go, I just want to stay here with my teacher." We stayed another 15 minutes or so and then I spent about 10 minutes coaxing him out the door. Two teachers helped me, trying to get him excited about showing them his car, but Boodge was not swayed by our tactics. He finally, reluctantly, agreed to leave with a promise that he could come back next week.
I think it went well. Maybe that's why they do this "gradual entry" thing--to make them want to come back sooooo badly, that they don't care that their parents are leaving them for a couple of hours. Maybe. I'm optimistic about how it's going to go on Tuesday. I mean, normally I would have angst about something like this, but I don't. I can't even talk myself into any angst.
And then on top of that, today, after not walking again since those first 5 steps, Peanut gave it another try. And another. And another, and another, and another. By the end of the day she was exhausted and giddy with it all. She's going to be a biped soon. I can't believe it's all happening so fast.
My kids amaze me.
No comments:
Post a Comment