Here's the recipe we use. It's for a 2 lb breadmaker, but maybe it would work without one. I'm not sure what you would do with the yeast, though. Mom? Comments? This recipe also looks good, if you don't have a breadmaker.
Pizza Dough
3/4 cup of fairly warm water
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons yeast
Put the water and oil in the breadmaker first, then the dry ingredients with the yeast on top. Use your "dough" setting.
You can double this recipe but if you do, only use 2 teaspoons of yeast. This dough freezes well, just wrap it in plastic and stick it in, and it defrosts on the counter in a few hours. Of course, you can also make pizza on pita breads, english muffins, and any kind of store-brought flatbread type thing and bypass the whole dough making thing. But I think kids do really enjoy playing with the dough. Mine sure does.
After that I won't tell you what toppings to use....pizza should be creative, and we all have our favorites. I'll say that I've been eating pizza with artichoke hearts and goat cheese lately, and loving it. But you guys do your own thing. Here are some pictures of Boodge's and my creations to inspire you.
Pretzel Pizza
Pilo Cheese Pizza
Pilo Cheese Pizza, After
Sean and Katy Half and Half Special
We also love making pizza at home!
ReplyDeleteDon't have a bread maker - just dissolve the yeast in the water and sugar solution (water should be warm) and let it stand for a while in a nice warm place. You can see it getting all foamy. Then just mix it with all other ingredients and let stand again to rise ...
Making pizza dough is like making French bread dough... the yeast, you put it in a bit of lukewarm water with 1 tsp of sugar and there it goes, puffs up like a giant bubble monster! I am sure Ardan would like to see that happens.
ReplyDeleteHe certainly enjoys life that one!
It is actually quite fun to make your own dough, knead it(I am not sure that Pizza dough requires a lot of kneading either) and let it rise, it probably would be shorter than in your bread maker.