This winter I started a simple tradition to give myself a little treat and pick me up in the afternoon. Sometime around three, and especially by 4 (our home's "witching hour") I find myself slumping while the kids are losing it and if I can get a really tasty cup of tea, it helps me survive the end of the day. I sometimes have bought those boxed Chai syrup things that you mix with milk, but I feel guilty about the packaging and price when I know I can easily make it myself. It's really just about getting the spices on hand.
So in the New Year, I went out and bought bulk spices, tea bags, and loose tea. Now, every week, I mix up a bunch of spices and brew myself two big pots of chai, one green tea for the afternoon pick me up, and one Rooibos tea for a decaffeinated version. I really love black tea chai too, but I wanted to start drinking green tea again so I have made that my caffeine. You can use this basic spice blend with any kind of tea that you like, and throw in a little vanilla if you like it that way. The great thing about making your own is you can play with the spice mix over time, and sweeten it to your liking.
Here's what I use, approximately.
3 large cinnamon sticks
a teaspoon of peppercorns
2-3 star anise "stars"
6-8 green cardamom pods
a heaping half teaspoon of whole cloves
fresh ginger--maybe a tablespoon grated, or a bunch of slices (I freeze my ginger and grate it off when I need it)
34 teabags of your choice, or 2 tbsp loose tea
About 6 cups of water.
Crush up all the spices with a mortar and pestle, or you can use a clean coffee grinder to quickly whack them up roughly. You can skip that step, but I feel it brings out even more spiciness. And I like that.
Now put the spices and the water together and boil them. If you are making Rooibos or Black Tea, put the tea in too. When it is boiling I simmer it for about 15 minutes with a lid partially on. If you are making green tea, put it in at the end just after you turn it off, and ideally, strain it out after 5 minutes. I don't like my green tea crazy strong.
Now, this is a good time to have a cup. Just pour it through a strainer, and then when it has cooled you can strain out the rest into a mason jar. Put it in the fridge, and voila. Every day, as witching hour approaches, heat up some tea and milk and honey and let it soothe you.
I can't tell you how many times I have held my warm tea in both hands and said, "Thank you, Me. You really love me, don't you? I'm so lucky."
And on Friday night? After the kids are in bed? I go hog-wild, whackadoo crazy and pour in a shot of vanilla liqueur. And a little spiced rum.
You're welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment