Monday, March 5, 2012

A Missive from the Sick House

Maybe it's the fact that our house was buried under a wall of flu this last 9 days, but I feel inspired to reach out and say hi today.  Reach my out from my deeply bored body with my tired hand, hoping to get a grip on something that will pull me back into normal society.  Nine days we've all taken turns lying flat on our backs with fever, dripping with snot, hacking out the sickness from our lungs.  There have been many delicious child-on-parent naps.  There have been many middle-of-the-night pukey sheet and jammies changes. And then Peanut's ear started oozing orange, and now she's on antibiotics.  And Boodge's fever spiked up again last night for a last hurrah. 

I'm feeling sub-human.  I now know the names of all the engines on Thomas the Train and even play Angry Birds now.  The house, for a time while Sean and I were ill, was littered deep with small scraps of food, snotty tissue, discarded clothes, toys and construction materials.  (Because did I mention that inside that 9 days Sean finished the new bamboo flooring in our playroom?  What a hero! And I get hero status too because on weekends I took care of the kids while sick/took care of the sick kids so he could do it).  And that is where we have been for over a week now, give or take some brief outings into civilization. 

But tonight Peanut was chatty at bedtime and Boodge was standing on his chair at dinner christening us all with new names like "Sawtowan" and "Miskipimaramoway", so I know they're feeling better.  I'm glad to have their frisky selves back, though the cuddly, docile kids of the last week have been nice too. 

Not totally back. Just as I finished that last paragraph my Peanut started hacking on the monitor, and I went in to catch her puke in a towel in the nick of time, avoiding one more pukey mess. But she's not good yet. She needs her Mama and I'm going to bed. May as well take advantage of some more cuddle opportunities. And let's not forget, sleep. Sleep is always welcome.

Hope to see you all on the outside real soon.

Let's all say a little prayer to hasten spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment