Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lemon Muffins

I have promised to share this recipe with a few people so I thought I'd post it up here so everyone can enjoy it.  I'm not taking any credit for it, though, it is credited to a chef named Mani Niall from San Francisco.  So says the back of the sugar bag I got it from.  Mani would be dismayed to know that the first time I made them, I forgot to sprinkle them with sugar, and the second time, I forgot the sugar altogether.  But he would be glad to know they were still good, both times.

But much better the first time because I also made some Lemon Cream Cheese Icing to go with them (no need at all for that yellow food colouring in this recipe though, in my opinion). They were so good that when I posted on facebook that they were in my oven and there was chai on the stove too, the mention of it all was enough to lure a new friend over for a spontaneous visit.  So if you're ever feeling like you could use some company, try this: cook up a batch, put on the chai from my last post, and put it out there.

And if you don't want company, just keep it to yourself, find a quiet corner, and breathe in the cleansing lemony scent.

Lemon Muffins

1/2 cup oats
1 1/4 cups yogurt (I used vanilla by accident, and liked it)
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp for sprinkling
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon rind

Mix the oats and yogurt and let it sit for at least 20 mins. Preheat the oven to 375 C. Line or grease the muffin tins.  Mix up the dry ingredients in one bowl.  Put the remaining wet ingredients in with oats and flour and whisk them together.  Put the dry ingredients into the wet and stir it up until just combined. It is pretty thick stuff.  Divide it into the muffin tins and sprinkle each with a 1/2 tsp of sugar.  Bake for 18 minutes, cool on a rack.  Makes 12 muffins.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipes! I can't wait to try those :)

    Have you ever tried to replace (part of) the vegetable oil with unsweetened applesauce? I started doing this for some quick chocolate cupcakes and it makes the dough incredibly moist. We used the same recipe for our kids' birthday cakes and most of the guests loved the applesauce version much more than the original.
    It also makes some moms feel much better for feeding "healthier" treats - as in pre school or for kid's parties.

    I am slowly working my way through my recipes to see where I can make the switch. It doesn't work for every dough. That's why I'm asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith, always so nice to hear from you! I haven't tried applesauce in this one but I have done that in the past. I've only made this twice. If you try it let me know how it works out. Sometimes I use coconut oil in place of vegetable oil though, that gives a nice flavor and it's a healthy fat. Hope you are all well!

    ReplyDelete